During the Civil War in Tennessee, the Jones family was also split along Union and Confederate lines. In January I wrote about Corporal Francis Marion Jones, who died in present-day Hamblen County, Tennessee during the Civil War. He had enlisted in the 9th Tennessee Calvary on the Union side. I also covered his commanding officer, Captain John Thornhill, nephew of Elizabeth Thornhill Jones. Captain Thornhill died in June 1865 in Jefferson County, Tennessee.
Francis' younger brother Martin Van Buren Jones enlisted in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, and served in Company F, 61st Mounted Tennessee Infantry with his brother, my 3rd-great-grandfather Joseph Thomas Jones.
Martin submitted a Confederate Pension Application on 30 August 1913 from Erath County, Texas.
Martin was born in Jefferson County, Tennessee in June 1842. He married Mary Francis Kersey at the age of 20 in 1862 (Mary's brother J.W. Kersey was a witness on Martin's pension application). They had at least the following children:
1. Martha Ellen Jones, born in Jefferson County, Tennessee about 1864
2. Elizabeth Jones, born in Jefferson County, Tennessee about 1868
3. John W. Jones, born in Jefferson County, Tennessee in May 1869
4. Alice G. Jones, born in Jefferson County, Tennessee in 1871
5. Arthur Eugene Jones, born 31 December 1879 in Thorntown, Boone County, Indiana, died on 12 April 1952 in San Joaquin County, California
Martin died on 2 February 1918 in Erath County, Texas.