My third-great-grandmother was Easter Vail Armstrong, mother of Sarah Ellen Armstrong Jones, and wife of David Armstrong. Easter was born in Montgomery County, Indiana on 31 December 1840 to parents James Vail and Selina Hampton.
In the 1850 US Census, Easter appears in the household of James & Selina in Franklin Township, Montgomery County, Indiana. The census taker wrote her name as "Esther" but it was in fact Easter.
Below is a Google map showing Franklin Township in Montgomery County.
Easter and David were married in Montgomery County on 27 February 1860. In the 1860 US Census, the young couple were living next door to David's parents in Franklin Township, Montgomery County, Indiana.
David and Easter had the following children:
1. Emma Jane Armstrong Sherrill - born 11 December 1860, died 28 January 1889. She married Henry Sherrill
2. George B. Armstrong - born 21 February 1862, died 31 October 1879
3. Mary Alice Armstrong - born 26 November 1865, died 27 December 1877 (according to notes passed down to me from my Uncle Robert P. Jones, he states that "this girl was an albino")
4. Sarah Ellen Armstrong - born 7 December 1868, died 29 April 1940
5. Minnie M. Armstrong Hankins - born 29 August 1870, died 3 October 1887. She married Richard Hankins.
It is sad to see Easter lose 4 children between 1877 and 1889. Mary Alice was 12, Minnie was 17, George 17, Emma Jane 29.
1880 Census record from Jefferson Township, Boone County, Indiana showing Easter keeping house with children Sarah Ellen and Minnie:
In the 1900 US Census, Easter is shown as head-of-household, with daughter Sarah Ellen and son-in-law Thomas Robert Jones living in the house with their children and Frank Daniel.
Easter Vail Armstrong died on 19 January 1923 in Thorntown, Boone County, Indiana. My great-great-grandfather Thomas Robert Jones paid for her funeral costs.