This has been a slower month for family history blogging, but in the background the activity continues. I'm currently in the DNA Skills Workshop with YourDNAGuide. Earlier in the month I shared a list of research questions, but for Skills I've focused almost entirely on trying to breakthrough on my the families of my 3rd-great-grandmother Bridget and the mystery O'Briens who went to Pennsylvania.
Since starting with YDG two years ago, I've been trying to develop the knowledge and skills to work with DNA matches. I think I've come a long way, building clusters, and learning how to apply various tools. It has certainly been a challenge with an absence of matches to Bridget's line. I might have been looking at the matches in the wrong way, and without additional elements necessary to find the right patterns.
In July I started to notice clusters of Australian matches on my Dad's results on MyHeritage. While some of these people have Irish ancestry and connections to other branches on my Dad's maternal line, it has been tough to distinguish whether a few of them trace back to the O'Brien side or Bridget's side. I tried a new approach where I used matches in common between my Dad and O'Brien descendant EWM on MyHeritage. He shares 228 cM, and as of earlier in the month, they had 210 matches in common. I created a spreadsheet, and listed the name of every match, amount of shared cMs, amount of longest block, and other notes such as country or the name of the branch where I suspected they fit on my tree. Essentially I was creating and separating the network of matches.
When that exercise was done, there were clear groupings:
- Matches also in common with the Pennsylvania O'Briens
- Lee, Lambert, and Brown-Welsh descendants, not connected to the lines of John O'Brien and Bridget
- Mystery cluster in Australia/New Zealand and Suriname
- A group connected to a descendant of the Hanleys of La Salle County, Illinois, pointing back to Roscommon, Ireland
- An Irish group with links to Roscommon/Longford, Ireland
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.