I previously posted about the Read family migration from Culpeper, Virginia to Barren County, Kentucky, and about the Valentine's Day Wedding of Charlie Read and Mary Alice Cain. Their marriage bond included a note signed by Guilford Dudley Read, 5th child of William Freeman Read and Emily Ann Heslopp Ballard. Guilford (he went by G. D. or Dudley) was born in Culpeper, Virginia on 7 August 1828.
In the 1850 US Census, the family appears in the First Division of Barren County, Kentucky. Guilford appears as a 20 years old farmer in his parents household.
Whatever his illness was in 1861-1862, it did not prevent him from marrying Naomi Ellen Holtzclaw of Spencer County, Kentucky in 1863. The couple had nine children, but I only have information on 7 of the children:
1. Bland Ballard Read - born 24 Aug 1864, died 7 Aug 1942
2. Guilford Dudley Read Jr. - born 1866, died May 1880
3. Eugene Read - born Oct 1868, died 9 Apr 1961
4. Enoch Read - born 27 Jun 1870, died 21 Mar 1957
5. Albert Shirley Read - born 14 Jun 1872, died 4 Nov 1916
6. Charles Read - 29 Dec 1876, died 6 Dec 1916
7. Emma Read - born 1877, died 25 Aug 1878
In 1870, Guilford and family appear in Glasgow, Barren County, Kentucky. He is shown as a butcher.
By the 1910 Census, Guilford had turned over the butcher shop to Charlie, but was still active and working as a gardener. His occupation was listed as "truck gardener".
Naomi Ellen Holtzclaw Read died in Barren County on 23 December 1914. Guilford died on 16 March 1916, followed in the same year by sons Albert and Charlie.
Guilford lived a long life, worked hard, operated his own business, and raised a large family.