|Photo via City of Alexandria, ship hull at 220 S. Union.|
Saturday, January 9, 2016
Historic Find in Old Town
The City of Alexandria has been excavating a large ship dating back to the late 1700s that was uncovered during the construction for a new hotel at 220 S. Union Street. The partial hull was a major find at the site, along with the discovery of the 1755 foundation for the first warehouse in Alexandria. The warehouse was built by John Carlyle, and later hosted the first brewery in the city.
This Washington Post article includes a video clip on the excavation and plans to preserve the hull and new discoveries. For those who may have had ancestors in early Alexandria, these findings provide further understanding into the lives of those who lived and visited the city in the mid to late 1700s.