My 5th-great-grandfather Thomas D. Hickey was born about 1795 in Tennessee. He married Rachel Cannon, daughter of early Tennessee settler Thomas Cannon. Thomas and Rachel had a large family in Jefferson County, and their 10 children were named in Thomas' will which was written in March 1856.
Thomas and Rachel had the following children:
- Elizabeth Hickey
- Sarah Sally Hickey (1814-)
- John Cannon Hickey (1817-)
- Rachel Hickey (1819-)
- Nancy Jane Hickey (1822-)
- Benjamin Franklin Hickey (1824-after 1900)
- Mary Polly Hickey (1825-)
- Martha Jane Hickey (1827-1859)
- Margaret Adaline Hickey (1829-1904)
- Thomas Montgomery Hickey (1832-)
Thomas made a special provision in his will for Theodore B. Hickey, who he called his "little nephew" but was his grandson. Thomas left him his horse bridle and saddle and paid for two years of his school. Thomas died in September 1856, leaving his estate to his wife Rachel.